For the previous week and a half, I attempted out Nutrisense and wore a CGM to watch my glucoses ranges. Sharing a recap of my expertise right here! I used to be gifted the Nutrisense membership for 1 month to strive, and this publish is just not sponsored. My code to strive it out is GINA50 for $50 off <— not affiliate, simply wished to share a reduction with you all.
Hello pals! How’s the week going? Thanks a lot for the entire stunning birthday needs for P! We had an ideal day celebrating and capped it off with the requested hibachi dinner. I hope you’re having an exquisite week, too!
For right now’s publish, I wished to share a recap of my expertise utilizing Nutrisense. I’ve been interested in this firm for some time, particularly after doing my Inside Tracker bloodwork earlier this yr. My fasting glucose ranges had been a bit on the excessive facet, and I used to be involved that it might be a deeper drawback. I waited it out, and after my good good friend Mia posted about utilizing Nutrisense to watch her blood glucose ranges, I knew I wished to offer it a strive. I reached out to the corporate and was excited after they supplied me a month to strive it out and see how I appreciated it.
I obtained the product and was SO nervous to place it on (hello, I’m a large needle phobe) and waited and waited till Mia stated that she’d stroll me by the entire course of and connect hers on the identical time. You may watch the video right here and witness the second I virtually began having a panic assault on dwell video. (She was like, “See, you may see the needle proper there” and I turned white.) I actually wished the information, so I took a deep breath and went for it. I’m actually glad I did, as a result of being able to see my physique’s response to completely different meals was extraordinarily invaluable.
(I’m smiling however panicking. Seems, attaching the CGM was NOTHING like I imagined it will be. It was painless and tremendous simple.)
What’s Nutrisense and the way does it work?
Nutrisense is a program that gives skilled steerage in alignment with a Steady Glucose Monitor (CGM). The CGM tracks your blood glucose at 15-minute intervals all through the day, so that you’re capable of see how sleep patterns, weight loss program, train, stress, and diet affect your blood glucose ranges. Constantly elevated glucose may cause irritation and harm within the physique, so it may be useful to see how your physique responds to the elements above, notably the way it recovers. For instance, in case your blood glucose spikes after a carb-heavy or sugary meal, does it keep elevated? Or does it recuperate inside 2 hours? How excessive is the spike??
If you join Nutrisense, your CGM is delivered to you, together with particulars on find out how to connect it. (You may watch me do that right here!) You’ll connect the CGM and protecting patch, obtain the app, and scan your CGM to start out monitoring the information. It normally takes about an hour after including it on your cellphone to acknowledge it and begin scanning. (You simply click on “scan” on the app and maintain your cellphone up the the CGM the place the digital camera is positioned.)
Throughout the app, you’re initially paired with a Registered Dietitian who will help you interpret the information, make suggestions, and run experiments.
The service begins at $350 for month, and the associated fee goes down relying on the time dedication. (With a 12-month dedication, it’s $199/month.)
The CGM that Nutrisense makes use of is the Freestyle Libre they usually expire in 14 days. (You app will let you recognize when your sensor is expiring.)
What sort of information do you obtain and the way do you interpret the information?
Your blood glucose is charted 24/7 and you’ll see how excessive will get and the way lengthy it takes to stabilize. It may be fascinating to see spikes all through the evening how completely different patterns have an effect on your blood glucose.
I bought this from my RD, who messaged me steadily and was at all times out there to reply questions: (this was after a smoothie that prompted a better spike than I anticipated)
To assist present extra context, I wish to stroll you thru what I’m taking a look at as I assess a glucose response so let’s take a look at your breakfast on 10/11 for instance (chocolate, smoothie, almond milk):
Peak (^ in your meal card). First, we wish to take a look at the height glucose worth and intention to keep away from repeated publicity above 140. Your peak glucose worth was 114, which is properly beneath the edge and a traditional peak!
Publicity (squiggly line on meal card). Second, we additionally need a small space below the curve (AUC). So a fast glucose spike to 150 however a return to pre-meal glucose values inside 1 hour of consuming is a small space below the curve, however a gradual glucose climb to 130 and staying elevated for 4 hours can be a a lot bigger space below the curve. We would like glucose to return to pre-meal values inside 2-3 hours after consuming. You may assist monitor your AUC by assessing your meal card AUC values and by checking your commonplace deviation within the analytics. Your AUC was 42.9- I might say optimally I’m in search of <30, however <50 remains to be okay!
Stability (triangle on meal card). We additionally wish to keep away from main “shifts” in glucose. So it might be potential that after a meal you solely went to 130 (which is nice!), however your pre-meal worth was 70, so that may be fairly a giant swing. You may monitor this by assessing your delta values, as we at all times wish to attempt for a delta <30. Your delta was 33, which is nice!!
Restoration (2h rating on meal card). Lastly, we wish glucose to return to pre-meal values inside 2-3 hours after consuming. Your response was 23, which tells me you had been 23 factors from baseline worth on the 2 hour mark.
What I discovered utilizing a Nutrisense CGM:
– Some buffers to forestall a blood sugar spike, particularly if you’re having higher-carb meals: take a stroll earlier than or after your meal, have some sort of protein first, average carb consumption, and meal timing. Since your insulin sensitivity is best in the course of the day and wanes in the direction of the night, chances are you’ll tolerate meals higher if consumed within the afternoon as a substitute of late at evening. That is completely the case for wine with me – if I’ve it late-afternoon, it doesn’t have an effect on my sleep.
– Complete foods-based carbs wouldn’t have a major impact on me, particularly after they’re paired with protein. (Berries, apples, bananas, and oranges didn’t trigger a spike, even after I ate them by themselves.) Oatmeal, paleo pancakes, Siete tortillas, and starchy veggies had been the identical. Refined carbs, however, did trigger a spike. We went to a celebration at a good friend’s home and I had extra sweets and refined carbs than common (plus champagne) and my blood glucose was elevated all evening and the next day. It was fascinating to see how one meal can have an effect on your insulin sensitivity for the next day.
– Wine spikes my blood sugar, tequila doesn’t. (An vital lesson haha.) Each recuperate tremendous if I’ve one glass, however two glasses led to elevated ranges the next day. This experiment verified the truth that I don’t do properly with a ton of alcohol, and it’s been a great reminder to attenuate it. (Proper now I’m at one or perhaps two drinks per week.)
– Additionally, my physique loves tacos, beans, and rice. 🙂 I had my common Wednesday evening Mexican meal with the household and no enormous spike.
– Peace of thoughts. A big proportion of our inhabitants is just not metabolically versatile, which might affect how we deal with stress, accidents, and recuperate from sickness. I used to be involved that my final blood take a look at confirmed a better fasting glucose, however this was capable of confirm that it isn’t the case for me usually (my blood take a look at was an outlier) and a great indicator of my metabolic well being. That was my predominant concern going into this and it was a welcomed sigh of reduction.
– The RD assist was invaluable. I liked being able to ask questions, and she or he did a superb job about instructing me find out how to see my patterns, assess my response, and supreme goal ranges.
– The app may be very well-designed, simple to navigate and use. I appreciated utilizing the app and located that whilst a beginner, I figured it out pretty simply.
– I ate a bit unusually after I first put it on. It’s like I used to be afraid to eat something that may spike it, and finally I needed to inform myself to recover from it and eat usually after a few days. The information wasn’t going to assist me if I solely ate protein and greens for 14 days. So I had margaritas, tacos, desserts, the entire issues I usually eat, so it will present a real image. When you’ve got a historical past with disordered consuming, I wouldn’t suggest utilizing this.
– It was uncomfortable and I ended up taking it off a number of days early. (I feel it was extra the adhesive than the precise sensor.) I acknowledge the privilege I’ve to have the ability to say, “I don’t wish to put on this anymore” and take away it, when I’ve pals on the market who rely on a CGM for survival. Simply wished to place a bit observe right here that I see you. <3 I didn’t sleep properly in any respect for the 11 days I had it hooked up – it was tremendous mild sleep as a result of I used to be subconsciously frightened about rolling onto it and sleeping on it in the course of the evening. Additionally, I used to be a bit shocked by the catheter when the Pilot eliminated it for me – it’s a teeny plastic tube, nevertheless it was longer than I anticipated lol.
All in all, it was a extremely invaluable expertise and I loved accessing the entire information + studying from my Nutrisense RD.
Am I going to connect the second sensor? I feel I’ll positively do it will definitely however am taking a break for a few weeks. I wish to run some extra experiments with meal timing and consuming sure meals by themselves + at the side of different meals.
Any questions on Nutrisense? Is that this one thing you assume you’ll do? Should you determine to strive it out, you should utilize the code GINA50 for $50 off 🙂